lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: How to find related words ?
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 14:24:07 GMT
Oh, so you wanted "similar" words! You should have said so... your inquiry
said you were looking for "related" words. So, which is it? More
specifically, what exactly are you looking for, in terms of the semantics?
In any case, "find similar" (MoreLikeThis) is about the best you can do out
of the box.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Gilmartin
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:04 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to find related words ?

wgggfiy wrote:
> en, it seems nice, but I'm puzzled by you and Andrew Gilmartina above,
> what's the difference between you guys ?

The different is that similar documents do not give you similar terms.
Similar documents can show a correlation of terms -- ie, whereever Lucene is
mentioned so is Solr and Hadoop -- but in no way does this mean that the
terms are similar. Accumulating similar and/or synonymous terms is a manual
process. I am sure there are text mining tools/algorithms that make
discoveries, but I do not know about these. (I am a journeyman programmer
not a researcher.) If anyone does know about them, please share with this
list.

-- Andrew