lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Earl Hood <e...@earlhood.com>
Subject Re: Is Analyzer used when calling IndexWriter.addIndexesNoOptimize()?
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 22:58:11 GMT
On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Jack Krupansky wrote:

> These are operations on indexes, so analysis is no longer relevant. Analysis
> is performed BEFORE data is placed in an index. You still need to perform
> analysis for queries though.

This is what I thought.  Just wanted to get confirmation.

> Rule #1 with Lucene and Solr - always be prepared to completely reindex your
> data, precisely because ideas about analysis evolve over time.

Unfortunately, re-indexing is not something that can be done easily in
the project I am on.  Hence, upgrading Lucene always has to be
considered carefully.

The problem is also further compounded by some organizations that want
to customize how there data gets indexed, with a single application then
having to be able to search across the normal and customized indexes.

Thanks for the response,

--ewh