lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: What is "flexible indexing" in Lucene 4.0 if it's not the ability to make new postings codecs?
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2012 12:45:05 GMT
On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Wu, Stephen T., Ph.D.
<Wu.Stephen@mayo.edu> wrote:
>> If you stuff the end of the span into the payload you'd have to create
>> a custom variant of PhraseQuery to properly match based on the end
>> span.
>
> How different is this from the functionality already avaialable through
> SpanQuery?

Good question!

I think the difference would be index-time (payload encoding span-end
+ new Query) vs search time (SpanQuery)?

Ie, with the former (index-time) you'd have a TokenFilter spotting the
spans and encoding them into the index, and with the latter all
spotting happens at search time?

So net/net I guess (?) the results would be the same, but performance
should be faster if you do it index-time?

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com