lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <ian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deciding how to use reader
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2012 12:18:18 GMT
Certainly in java IndexReader is thread safe.  From the 4.0.0 javadocs
"IndexReader instances are completely thread safe, meaning multiple
threads can call any of its methods, concurrently".  I know nothing
about Lucene.NET.

All your reasons for not using Solr sound fine, particularly the more
fun one.  Good luck.

--
Ian.

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Lars-Erik Aabech
<LEA@markedspartner.no> wrote:
> OK, thanks. As far as I understand, there's no problem performance wise or other to use
a singleton reader for multiple threads/users, right?

> I've considered Solr, but my conclusion is that installing and configuring something
a bit geeky to configure, running on Java when all our stuff is Windows/MSSQL/.net just to
save myself from using lucene.net within my existing c# code, seems like overkill. :)
> We also have some very specific configuration and UI needs for the system we are indexing,
and it's all ended up quite nice. The main reason was that our SQL searches (like '%...%')
combined with crappy legacy rendering took a minute, the current lucene searches with security,
highlighting, other rules, multiple fields etc. takes <1 sec.

> Besides, it's more fun getting to know and tamper around with lucene itself.
>
> Lars-Erik

a reader from the writer and does the search.