lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Neil Ireson <>
Subject Explicit setting of NIOFSDirectory not respected
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 10:32:13 GMT
Hi all,

I run my code on a cluster where I have to preset resource limits and therefore the processes
have limited virtual memory causing OOME when using MMapDirectory on large indexes.

This means I explicitly use NIOFSDirectory (i.e. Directory indexDirectory =;)
however when I run the code on Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM Lucene still uses MMapDirectory
to open the index, using a 32 bit JVM opens the index with NIOFSDirectory but I can only assign

Surely Lucene should not override my selection of NIOFSDirectory.

PS I'm using Lucene 4.1-SNAPSHOT

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message