lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Neil Ireson <n.ire...@dcs.shef.ac.uk>
Subject Explicit setting of NIOFSDirectory not respected
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 10:32:13 GMT
Hi all,

I run my code on a cluster where I have to preset resource limits and therefore the processes
have limited virtual memory causing OOME when using MMapDirectory on large indexes.

This means I explicitly use NIOFSDirectory (i.e. Directory indexDirectory = NIOFSDirectory.open(indexFile);)
however when I run the code on Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM Lucene still uses MMapDirectory
to open the index, using a 32 bit JVM opens the index with NIOFSDirectory but I can only assign
-Xmx2G.

Surely Lucene should not override my selection of NIOFSDirectory.

PS I'm using Lucene 4.1-SNAPSHOT