lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Lars-Erik Aabech <...@markedspartner.no>
Subject RE: Deciding how to use reader
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2012 12:09:52 GMT
OK, thanks. As far as I understand, there's no problem performance wise or other to use a singleton
reader for multiple threads/users, right?

I've considered Solr, but my conclusion is that installing and configuring something a bit
geeky to configure, running on Java when all our stuff is Windows/MSSQL/.net just to save
myself from using lucene.net within my existing c# code, seems like overkill. :)
We also have some very specific configuration and UI needs for the system we are indexing,
and it's all ended up quite nice. The main reason was that our SQL searches (like '%...%')
combined with crappy legacy rendering took a minute, the current lucene searches with security,
highlighting, other rules, multiple fields etc. takes <1 sec.

Besides, it's more fun getting to know and tamper around with lucene itself.

Lars-Erik

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Lea [mailto:ian.lea@gmail.com]
Sent: 10. desember 2012 13:00
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Deciding how to use reader

If the index is only updated once an hour I'd create a new reader once an hour as well, synchronized
with the updates.

Have you considered Solr?  That would probably take care of most of the complications pretty
much out of the box.
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/features.html

--
Ian.

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Lars-Erik Aabech <LEA@markedspartner.no> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm using lucene.net, but I'm sure this question is not platform
> specific. :) I've created an index for a website which uses a central database server
and three front-end servers.
> For now I've put the index and the building of the index on a fifth server which builds
the index once an hour.
> It uses a singleton with one directory and one writer for the lifetime
> of the application. (currently infinite) I also created an http service which gets a
reader from the writer and does the search.