lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Lars-Erik Aabech <...@markedspartner.no>
Subject Deciding how to use reader
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2012 10:31:58 GMT
Hi!

I'm using lucene.net, but I'm sure this question is not platform specific. :)
I've created an index for a website which uses a central database server and three front-end
servers.
For now I've put the index and the building of the index on a fifth server which builds the
index once an hour.
It uses a singleton with one directory and one writer for the lifetime of the application.
(currently infinite)
I also created an http service which gets a reader from the writer and does the search.
The front-end servers get the search result via that service over a 1gb lan.
The problem is that this server has 100% cpu load quite often, and that affects the responsiveness
of the service.
So I'm about to rewrite it so that the index is stored on a SAN available to all servers.
The front-end servers will then open their own singletons of directory and do the searches
themselves.

My question is as follows,
Given ~17,000 documents and ~120,000 terms, would you open and close a reader for each search,
or would you keep a singleton reader and re-open it say every hour?

mvh.
Lars-Erik Aabech
Faglig leder utvikling
MarkedsPartner AS