lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject precisionStep for days in TrieDate
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2012 22:48:14 GMT
If I specify a precisionStep of 26 for a TrieDate field, what rough impact should this have
on both performance and index size?

The input data has time in it, but the milliseconds per day is not needed for the app. Will
Lucene store only the top 64 minus 26 bits of data and discard the low 26 bits?

I’ve read that a higher precisionStep will lower performance. Will a precisionStep of 26
have dramatically lower performance when referencing days (without time of day)?

I suppose that the piece of information I am missing is whether trie precisionStep simply
affects some extra index table that trie keeps beyond the raw data values or the data values
themselves.

-- Jack Krupansky