lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <>
Subject Re: Question about ordering rule of SpanNearQuery
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2012 18:34:49 GMT

: I am confused with the ordering rule about SpanNearQuery. For example, I
: indicate the slot in SpanNearQuery is 10. And the results are all the
: qualified documents. Is it true that any document with shorter distance
: it till uses tf-idf algorithm to rank the docs. Or there is some complex
: algorithm blending the distance and tf-idf algorithm.

Its blended ... think of each occurance of a specified span as a
"psuedo-term" but instead of each occurance incrementing the
"psuedo-term-frequency" by "1" it increments it by a floating point number
based on how sloppy the match was (an exact match is usually "1", a sloppy
match is usually something smaller)...

As Jack mentioned: look at the explain results for the details for any
specific query & doc

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message