lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <>
Subject Re: What is "flexible indexing" in Lucene 4.0 if it's not the ability to make new postings codecs?
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2012 18:02:55 GMT
On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Wu, Stephen T., Ph.D.
<> wrote:
> Is there any (preliminary) code checked in somewhere that I can look at,
> that would help me understand the practical issues that would need to be
> addressed?
> If I understand you correctly, it's a little different from what's happening
> in your blog posts:
> tml
> s.html
> Those posts deal with making your own codec, but not about changing what's
> stored in the postings?  I guess I misunderstood "postings format" before.

I don't know of any examples of adding an entirely new attribute to
the postings, except via payloads.

All the examples we have are of Codecs/PostingsFormats/etc. storing
all the usual attributes (term & its stats (docFreq/totalTermFreq),
doc, freq, position, offsets, payload) in "interesting" ways.

Maybe we can make this more concrete: what new attribute are you
needing to record in the postings and access at search time?

Mike McCandless

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message