lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Grouping on multiple shards possible in lucene?
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:49:28 GMT
On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 1:49 AM, Ravikumar Govindarajan
<ravikumar.govindarajan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Mike. Actually, I think I can eliminate sort-by-time, if I am able
> to iterate postings in reverse doc-id order. Is this possible in lucene?

Alas that is not easy to do in Lucene: the posting lists are encoded
in forward docID order.

But, I think it should be possible with some fun codec & merge policy
& MultiReader magic, to have docIDs assigned in "reverse chronological
order" ...

> Also, for a TopN query sorted by doc-id will the query terminate early?

Actually, it won't!  But it really should ... you could make a
Collector that throws an exception once the N docs have been
collected?

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com