lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <ian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene 3.6.0 high CPU usage
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2012 10:04:06 GMT
Are you getting the same, improved or worse performance/throughput?
Has the bottleneck switched from IO to CPU?

--
Ian.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM, kiwi clive <kiwi_clive@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Having played with merge parameters and various index parameters, it seems possible to
change the I/O usage at the cost of the number of index files. However, it does appear that
this version of lucene is using more CPU.  Is there any reason for this ? is it normal ? We
can push a large amount of documents through the indexer and it seams to work admirably although
I would be happier if the load average came down.

> Any lucene devs out there who could shed some light on this behaviour ?
>

> Thanks,
> Clive

that the CPU usage on the new version is perhaps 20-30% higher. The i/o wait appears about
the same on both versions.

> Can anyone suggest why this should be so or is the newer lucene version just more CPU
hungry? If not, any tuning suggestions to reduce CPU usage would be gratefully received !