lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Trejkaz <trej...@trypticon.org>
Subject Re: Does anyone have tips on managing cached filters?
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 05:27:53 GMT
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 2:09 AM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand how a filter could become invalid even though the reader
> has not changed.

I did state two ways in my last email, but just to re-iterate:

(1): The filter reflects a query constructed from lines in a text
file. If some other application modifies the text file, that filter is
now invalid.

(2): The filter reflects the results of an SQL query against a
separate database. If someone inserts a new value into that table,
then that filter is now invalid.

Case 1 occurs for things like word lists. Case 2 occurs for things
like tags. Neither of these would ever be possible to implement purely
using Lucene, so it is a fact of life that they will become invalid
for reasons other than the reader changing.

TX