lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Michael-O" <1983-01...@gmx.net>
Subject Excessive use of IOException without proper documentation
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2012 13:20:00 GMT
Hi,

why does virtually every method (exaggerating) throw an IOE? I know there might be a failure
in the underlying IO (corrupt files, passing checked exc up, etc) but

1. Almost none of the has a JavaDoc on it
2. Throwing an IOE from most of the methods doesn't really help. You cannot create separate
catch blocks. You have to rip your code apart in tens of try catch blocks.

Here is a simple example: Both IndexSearcher#search and IndexSearcher#doc throw an IOE with
any further documentation. I don't have the chance to detect where the exception has happened
nor I can pass something reasonable back to the user. And both methods are keypoints in Lucene.

E.g., there are exceptions thrown in IndexSearcher without any message. Simply empty stubs.

Lucene 4.0 received a complete API overhaul. Why was no action taken to clean up exception
management?

Mike