lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From kiwi clive <kiwi_cl...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Lucene 3.6.0 high CPU usage
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2012 12:40:24 GMT
Having played with merge parameters and various index parameters, it seems possible to change
the I/O usage at the cost of the number of index files. However, it does appear that this
version of lucene is using more CPU.  Is there any reason for this ? is it normal ? We can
push a large amount of documents through the indexer and it seams to work admirably although
I would be happier if the load average came down.

Any lucene devs out there who could shed some light on this behaviour ?

Thanks,
Clive

________________________________
 From: kiwi clive <kiwi_clive@yahoo.com>
To: "java-user@lucene.apache.org" <java-user@lucene.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:58 AM
Subject: Lucene 3.6.0 high CPU usage

Hi Guys,

Having upgraded from lucene2.3.2 to lucene3.6.0 and jumping through a few hoops, we note that
the CPU usage on the new version is perhaps 20-30% higher. The i/o wait appears about the
same on both versions.

Can anyone suggest why this should be so or is the newer lucene version just more CPU hungry?
If not, any tuning suggestions to reduce CPU usage would be gratefully received !

Thanks
Clive