lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: Query.combine() has been removed in lucene 4.0 ??
Date Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:08:31 GMT
Hi,

this looks like a XY problem: You should explain first what you want to do, so we can find
a solution for you.

About Query.combine(): This method was solely a "helper" method only for use by the (Parallel-)MultiSearcher
classes in Lucene, which were deprecated in 3.x and completely removed in Lucene 4. MultiSearcher
had some serious problems with some type of queries (incorrect Boolean query expansion,...),
which was especially caused by this method - which was completely undocumented and behaving
wrong. The reason for this method was some custom rewrite logic, if a query must be executed
on different IndexSearchers where the term dictionaries on the underlying IndexReaders were
different.

The replacement for MultiSearcher and ParallelMultiSearcher in Lucene 4.0 is to use MultiReader
with a single IndexSearcher and parallelization supported by passing an ExecutorSearvice to
the IndexSearcher. Query.combine was removed because the (broken) MultiSearcher-Rewrite-Hack
is no longer needed.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler