lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <>
Subject Re: Lucene updateDocument deletes the document, but the counts keep increasing
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2012 13:03:44 GMT
Yes, IndexWriter.updateDocument() deletes and then adds. See the
javadocs.  So your index will have deleted docs.  Why do you care?
They'll go away eventually as segments get merged.

If you really do care, see IndexWriter,forceMergeDeletes().  See also
the javadoc for that: This is often a horribly costly operation;
rarely is it warranted.