lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Norms and Term Vectors in Lucene 4.0
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 08:10:00 GMT
hey scott,

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 11:56 PM, Scott Smith <ssmith@mainstreamdata.com> wrote:
> Converting some code to lucene 4.0, it appears that we can no longer set whether we want
to store norms or termvectors using the "sugared" Field classes (e.g., StringField() and TextField).
 I gather the defaults are to store norms and to not store termvectors?

the defaults are omitNorms=false & storeTermVectors=false so we don't
store TV but do store norms by default. In production I usually
recommend to use your own FieldType and share the instance across
fields. In yourcase you can just do this:

FieldType t = new FieldType(TextField.TYPE_NOT_STORED);
t.setOmitNorms(true);
t.freeze();

new Field(...,t)

> If I don't want norms on a field, then do I need to use the new streamlined Field() and
set the appropriate FieldType object parameters?  Is that my only option?

> I assume I also have to go through the new Field() if I need to control TermVectors?
>
> Where's LIA3 when you need it :)

yeah man that is a good question!

simon