lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Martijn v Groningen <>
Subject Re: Lucene 4.0 delete by ID
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2012 21:24:29 GMT
A top level document ID can change over time. For that reason you
shouldn't rely on it. However if you know your index is stable or you
keep track when a merge happes, you can use the
IndexWriter#tryDeleteDocument method to delete a document by Lucene
id. Deleting a document via a IndexReader is no longer possible.

On 27 October 2012 01:47, Mossaab Bagdouri <> wrote:
> Lucene document IDs are not stable. You could add a field with an ID that
> you maintain. Your query would then be just a TermQuery on the ID.
> Regards,
> Mossaab
> 2012/10/26 Scott Smith <>
>> I'm currently converting some lucene code to 4.0.  It appears that you are
>> no longer allowed to delete a document by its ID.  Is that correct?  Is my
>> only option to figure some kind of query (which obviously isn't based on
>> ID) and do the delete from there?

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn van Groningen

To unsubscribe, e-mail: