lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Siraj Haider <si...@jobdiva.com>
Subject RE: Scoring based on document
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2012 14:18:14 GMT
So, just to confirm, using Lucene 4.0, we would be able to issue a search on one or more fields
and would be able to get the results sorted by a custom field and also would be able to get
the score of each document based on the frequency of the terms searched in all the indexed
fields of that document (rather than getting it scored just by the fields in the query, which
is the case now).

If this is true, could be please guide me into the direction on how to implement it?

Thanks a lot for your help.

-Siraj
(212) 306-0154

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Willnauer [mailto:simon.willnauer@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:51 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Scoring based on document

hey there,

in Lucene 4 you can override the termStatistics / CollectionStatistics used for scoring in
the IndexSearcher. You can take multiple fields into account here in order use it for scoring.
Here is the javadoc
link:

http://lucene.apache.org/core/4_0_0/core/org/apache/lucene/search/IndexSearcher.html#termStatistics(org.apache.lucene.index.Term,
org.apache.lucene.index.TermContext)
http://lucene.apache.org/core/4_0_0/core/org/apache/lucene/search/IndexSearcher.html#collectionStatistics(java.lang.String)

simon
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 11:25 PM, Siraj Haider <siraj@jobdiva.com> wrote:
> I am using DefaultSimilarity and did not boost any field while indexing. My index is
comprised of the following fields:

> -          Title
>
> -          Author
>
> -          Bookname
>
> -          Description
>
> All of the 4 fields are indexed and can be searched on by the user. Now let's say the
user searches for "oracle" in Title field, the score is computed based on the Title field
only, and its disregarding the frequency of the term "oracle" in other fields. It might be
like that by design but I need to change it so that the documents are ranked based on the
frequency in the whole document and not based on the field searches. Please help!

> Thanks in advance
> -Siraj

> This electronic mail message and any attachments may contain information which is privileged,
sensitive and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. The information is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named as the addressee above. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution
(electronic or otherwise) or forwarding of, or the taking of any action in reliance on, the
contents of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic
transmission in error, please notify us by telephone, facsimile, or e-mail as noted above
to arrange for the return of any electronic mail or attachments. Thank You.