lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Zeynep P." <zp...@yahoo.com>
Subject Lucene 4.0 benchmark bug?
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2012 13:48:05 GMT
Hi to all,

I started to use benchmark 4.0 to create submission report files with the
following code:

        BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(fr);
        QualityQuery qqs[] = qReader.readQueries(br);
        QualityQueryParser qqParser = new SimpleQQParser("title", "body");
        QualityBenchmark qrun = new QualityBenchmark(qqs, qqParser,
searcher, "docname") ;
        SubmissionReport submitLog = new SubmissionReport(loggertest,
"test");
        QualityStats stats[] = qrun.execute(null, submitLog, null);

My index is created by lucene 3.6. I use LA Times topics 401-450. With 3.6,
no problem. However, when I use benchmark 4.0 I realised that it returns the
results only for the first query 401 which is "foreign minorities, Germany".
When I debug the code, at SimpleQQParser, the boolean query generated is
"body:foreign" without other keywords. I go on debugging and it seems that
the problem is raised at  QueryParserBase.newFieldQuery  which returns null
for  the rest of all queries and other keywords in the same query.  I
updated the code for my adhoc use. Unless, I don't know  how to fix it or
it also happens to someone else?!

Second problem, for the same collection MAP = 0.17 with default similarity,
MAP= 0.07 with lucene 4.0 BM25 similarity (b=0.75, k1=1.2). I got MAP = 0.14
with BM25 implemented based on http://ipl.cs.aueb.gr/stougianni/bm25_2.html.
However this collection is represented in the litterature with MAP around
0.25 with BM25 scoring function. Did someone evaluate the different
similarities and can share the results?

Best Regards,
ZP