lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <ian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why does giving more JVM memory to lucene make queries run it faster?
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2012 09:15:16 GMT
Most programs in all languages like plenty of memory.  If you Google
"lucene memory usage" you'll get hits on articles by Lucene developers
and plenty more.  Some bits may be more or less relevant to specific
versions of lucene,

As for "the minimum memory I must give to Lucene for its optimal
performance" that is impossible to answer in a general sense.  I could
write a tiny lucene app with a tiny index holding tiny fields and it
would need less memory than an app doing complex searches, sorting,
large result lists, whatever, on large docs.  You'll have to do your
own tests on your own app on your own hardware.

--
Ian.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Maneesha Jain <jain_maneesha@yahoo.com> wrote:
> According to the lucene file formats, it is only .tii and couple more files that are
read fully in the memory.
> I am trying to understand why does giving more JVM memory to lucene makes it run faster.
>
> - is it that GC is not run too frequently?
> - or does lucene build caches based on content of (.tis, .fdt) if there is more heap
available?

> Related question is what does "warming of IndexSearcher" means internally to Lucene.
What content would lucene load during warm up?

> Can someone shed some light on it? I would like to know the minimum memory I must give
to Lucene for its optimal performance. And no more.