lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Maneesha Jain <jain_manee...@yahoo.com>
Subject Why does giving more JVM memory to lucene make queries run it faster?
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 21:57:03 GMT
According to the lucene file formats, it is only .tii and couple more files that are read fully
in the memory.
I am trying to understand why does giving more JVM memory to lucene makes it run faster.

- is it that GC is not run too frequently?
- or does lucene build caches based on content of (.tis, .fdt) if there is more heap available?

Related question is what does "warming of IndexSearcher" means internally to Lucene. What
content would lucene load during warm up?

Can someone shed some light on it? I would like to know the minimum memory I must give to
Lucene for its optimal performance. And no more.

maneesha