lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Index backward compatibility related question
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2012 18:33:37 GMT

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: Sitowitz, Paul
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:31 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Cc: sitowitz@gmail.com
Subject: Lucene Index backward compatibility related question

Hello,

I have two products that are using Lucene: The first product creates the
Lucene indexes for some data using Lucene version 3.01. The second product
utilizes the indexes created by the first product for text search purposes
and is also using Lucene 3.01.  I understand that the latest version of
Lucene 4.0 has made several performance enhancements of which we would like
to be able to leverage by our second product.

Question:   If we upgrade the second product to use Lucene 4.0, will we
still be able to take advantage of search related performance gains while
still using the index created using Lucene 3.01 by our first product? OR,
will we have to "bite the bullet" and upgrade BOTH products to use the
latest version of Lucene?

Thanks in advance for you response.

Sincerely,

Paul Sitowitz

________________________________
P a u l   S i t o w i t z
Core Engineering
VeriSign Naming Services

12061 Bluemont Way
Reston, VA 20190

psitowitz@verisign.com   (email)
703-948-3298                (office)
703-626-3593                (mobile)

This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it
is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, Confidential
and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any unauthorized use,
distribution, or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this message in error, please notify sender immediately and destroy/delete
the original transmission