lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Damian Birchler <Damian.Birch...@bsiag.com>
Subject search-time Field.setBoost()
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2012 06:46:54 GMT
Hello list

I'm looking for something like Field.setBoost(float boost) that can be set at search time.
The reason for this is that we would like to provide user (client-side) configurable search
queries, where the user can assign weights to the fields (all fields, not just those mentioned
in the query) of matching documents which are then, for instance, multiplied with the *per-field
score* (If such a thing exists) of each respective field. The closes thing I've come by is
Field.setBoost(float boost) which, however, has to be set at the time of indexing. Term.setBoost(float
boost) has the disadvantage that it directly influences the score of the whole document and
that it can only be set on fields that are part of the query. I've also come across Weight,
Score and friends but I don't know if that's the way to go and if it was, I would appreciate
some advice, examples, tutorials, pointers etc.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Damian