lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Sitowitz, Paul" <PSitow...@verisign.com>
Subject Lucene Index backward compatibility related question
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:31:34 GMT
Hello,

I have two products that are using Lucene: The first product creates the Lucene indexes for
some data using Lucene version 3.01. The second product utilizes the indexes created by the
first product for text search purposes and is also using Lucene 3.01.  I understand that the
latest version of Lucene 4.0 has made several performance enhancements of which we would like
to be able to leverage by our second product.

Question:   If we upgrade the second product to use Lucene 4.0, will we still be able to take
advantage of search related performance gains while still using the index created using Lucene
3.01 by our first product? OR, will we have to "bite the bullet" and upgrade BOTH products
to use the latest version of Lucene?

Thanks in advance for you response.

Sincerely,

Paul Sitowitz

________________________________
P a u l   S i t o w i t z
Core Engineering
VeriSign Naming Services

12061 Bluemont Way
Reston, VA 20190

psitowitz@verisign.com   (email)
703-948-3298                (office)
703-626-3593                (mobile)

This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed,
and may contain information that is privileged, Confidential and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. Any unauthorized use, distribution, or disclosure is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please notify sender immediately and destroy/delete
the original transmission