lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mike Sokolov <soko...@ifactory.com>
Subject Re: Small Vocabulary
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 18:29:34 GMT
There was some interesting work done on optimizing queries including
very common words (stop words) that I think overlaps with your problem.
See this blog post
http://www.hathitrust.org/blogs/large-scale-search/slow-queries-and-common-words-part-2
from the Hathi Trust.

The upshot in a nutshell was that queries including terms with very
large postings lists (ie high occurrences) were slow, and the approach
they took to dealing with this was to index n-grams (ie pairs and
triplets of adjacent tokens).  However I'm not sure this would help much
if your queries will typically include only a single token.

-Mike