lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Bill Chesky <Bill.Che...@learninga-z.com>
Subject RE: Analyzer on query question
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 18:55:27 GMT
Ian/Jack,

Ok, thanks for the help.  I certainly don't want to take a cheap way out, hence my original
question about whether this is the right way to do this.  Jack, you say the right way is to
do Term analysis before creating the Term.  If anybody has any information on how to accomplish
this I'd greatly appreciate it.

regards,

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Jack Krupansky [mailto:jack@basetechnology.com]
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2012 1:22 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Analyzer on query question

Bill, the re-parse of Query.toString will work provided that your query
terms are either un-analyzed or their analyzer is "idempotent" (can be
applied repeatedly without changing the output terms.) In your case, you are
doing the former.

The bottom line: 1) if it works for you, great, 2) for other readers, please
do not depend on this approach if your input data is filtered in any way -
if your index analyzer "filters" terms (e.g, stemming, case changes,
term-splitting), your Term/TermQuery should be analyzed/filtered comparably,
in which case the extra parse (to cause term analysis such as stemming)
becomes unnecessary and risky if you are not very careful or very lucky.

-- Jack Krupansky