lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Matching on "owned" docs -- filter or query? Or sort?
Date Sun, 22 Jul 2012 15:33:32 GMT
Hmmm, what about simply boosting very high on owner, and probably
grouping on title?

If you boosted on owner, you wouldn't even have to index the title
separately for each user, your "owner" field could be multivalued and
contain _all_ the owner IDs. In that case you wouldn't have to group
at all......

Best
Erick

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Uncle <unclelonghair0@gmail.com> wrote:
> I also posted this to StackOverflow, apologies if you see this twice.
>
> I have a data set whereby documents are associated to a user id. Say that the documents
represent books, and each book can have one or more owner. I am indexing the titles with Lucene.
When searching, I want all results owned by me to be sorted at the top of the results before
results that are not owned by me. So the data might look like:

> Owner ID       Book Title
> --------             ----------
> 13                   To Have and To Have Not
> 14                   To Have and To Have Not
> 19                   To Have and To Have Not
> 18                   Have a Little Faith
> 15                   Snow Crash
> 17                   Snow Crash
> 18                   Cryptonomicon
> 14                   Of Mice And Men
> 17                   Flash Crash
>
> Say that my user id is 14 and I search on "have", I want to match on both "To Have and
To Have Not" and "Have a Little Faith", but "To Have and To Have Not" should show up higher
in my search results, because I own it.  Similarly, if I am user id 15 and search for "Crash",
I will match both "Snow Crash" and "want "Flash Crash", but "Snow Crash" should show up first
because I own it.  If I am user id 14 and I search for "crash", I would still get a match
for "Snow Crash" even though I don't own it.  If I did a fuzzy match for "a" which would match
almost all of these titles, I would see those that I own before I see the others.

> I am a little stuck on whether this is a query, filter, custom sort, or some combination,
and how to get the best performance.  For example, if I could write a filter that eliminates
all duplicate titles, giving preference to those owned by me, I could then just perform a
search on the remainder (assuming that filters are applied before searches). Then, a custom
sort based on whether or not I own the doc would be straightforward.

> But I am not sure how to implement the filter. It is not a simple DuplicateFilter because
it operates on two fields. It is similar to the security filter example in section 5.6.7 of
Lucene in Action, except that I still want to be able to see documents that I don't own, if
I don't own a book with the same title. The custom filter in section 6.4 is also close, but
my problem is more complex because it depends on two fields.

> While iterating over the documents, the filter would have to remember which titles have
been seen, and then keep the ones that I own. For example if it iterated over the values above
in order, it would see the title "To Have and To Have Not", not owned by me; and then see
the same title again, owned by me, and have to know that it should drop the first doc and
keep the second. I can't think of how to do this without using a lot of memory, essentially
keeping all titles in memory while iterating, which seems very expensive. It isn't a simple
"match" function because whether or not I match depends on the other documents in the set.