lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Vitaly Funstein <vfunst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Direct memory footprint of NIOFSDirectory
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2012 20:42:57 GMT
Just thought I'd bump this. To clarify - for reasons outside my
control, I can't just run the JVM hosting Lucene-enabled application
with -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=100G or some other huge value for the
ceiling and never worry about this. Due to preallocation and other
restrictions, this parameter has to be fairly close to the actual size
used by the app (padded for Lucene and possibly other consumers).

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM, Vitaly Funstein <vfunstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have recently run into the situation when there was not a sufficient amount of direct
memory available for IndexWriter to work. This was essentially caused by the embedding application
making heavy use of JVM's direct memory buffers and not leaving enough headroom for NIOFSDirectory
to operate. So what are the approximate guidelines, if any, in terms of JVM configuration
for this choice of Directory to operate safely? Basically, what I am looking for is a rough
estimate of direct memory usage per GB of indexed data, or per directory/writer instance,
if applicable.