lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <>
Subject Re: Upgrade to 3.6 OR wait for 4.0
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 05:20:32 GMT
Hi Ganesh

I recently upgraded my code to 3.6, and yesterday finished part of my
upgrades to 4.0-ALPHA.

Upgrading from 3.0.3 to 3.6 is relatively easy as all API should be
backwards compatible. But I think there were some API breaks, and
back-compat issues. Therefore, if I were you, I'd first upgrade from 3.0.3
to 3.6, resolving all 'deprecated' API warnings and making sure the
back-compat issues do not affect me (or resolve them too !).

Then, I'd upgrade to 4.0-ALPHA. A lot of API has been changed, and so most
likely you'll need to touch large parts of your code again.

Going this route, you gain all the new features and enhancements of 3.6,
while knowing that you run on a 'stable' Lucene version. Upgrading to
4.0-ALPHA comes with even more gains, but this release will probably go
under some API changes (API is expected to freeze in BETA), though the
index format is not going to change in incompatible ways (unless there's a
bug ... you can read the release notes), so depending on how much you want
to risk doing the upgrade for a still 'work in progress' code.

Hope this helps.