lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade to 3.6 OR wait for 4.0
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 07:37:16 GMT
I have to use stable versions too, and that's why I delayed upgrading my
code until 4.0-ALPHA was out. Since I don't have any problems with API
breaks, i.e. I'm only concerned with index format back-compat, 4.0-ALPHA to
me was stable.

If you require both index format + stable API, then wait for 4.0-BETA.

4.0 will probably include more hardening to the code after 4.0-BETA, which
means likely bug fixes and such. If that is your definition of 'stable'
then wait for it.

As for timelines, I have no idea :). It took nearly a year to stabilize the
code enough (and index format) for 4.0-ALPHA to be released. I hope that
4.0-BETA and 4.0.0 won't be long from now :)

Shai