lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jochen Hebbrecht <jochenhebbre...@gmail.com>
Subject Mapping Lucene search results with a relational database
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 07:56:00 GMT
Hi all,

I have an application which holds a list of documents. These documents are
indexed using Lucene.
I can search on keywords of the documents. I loop the TopDocs and get the
ID field (of each Lucene doc) which is related to the ID column in my
relational database. From all these ID's, I create a list.
After building the list of ID's, I make a database query which is executing
the following SELECT statement (JPA):

<<
SELECT d From Document WHERE id IN (##list of ID's retrieved from Lucene##)

This list of document is sent to the view (GUI).

But, some documents are private and should not be in the list. Therefore,
we have some extra statements in the SELECT query to do some security
checks:

<<
SELECT d From Document WHERE id IN (##list of ID's retrieved from Lucene##)
AND rule1 = foo
AND rule2 = bar

But now I'm wondering: I'm using the speed of Lucene to quickly search
documents, but I still have to do the SELECT query. So I'm loosing
performance on this one :-( ...
Does Lucene have some component which does this mapping for you? Or are
there any best practices on this issue? How do big projects map the Lucene
results to the relation database? Because the view should be rendering the
results?

Many thanks!
Jochen