lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Yang <teddyyyy...@gmail.com>
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2012 03:04:05 GMT
I'm running 8 index searchers  java processes on a 8-core node.
They all read from the  same lucene index on local hard drive.

the index contains about 20million docs, each doc is a small record with
about 200 bytes.
total size is about 5GB.

it worked fine before, but recently (I don't know what changed) I found
that once the index searchers
are started, kswapd and kjournald take up 100% cpu (but this is not such a
bad thing, cuz the 8 cores
offer 800% cpu), and quickly the system comes to a freeze.

I do NOT have swap on the system, so I don't understand why kswapd and
kjournald should be so busy.
But even if these 2 kernel processes are busy, that's no reason for the
system to freeze either.
Does this sound like a kernel bug?

the system is a EC2 instance:
Linux blahblah.mycompany.com 2.6.21.7-2.fc8xen #1 SMP Fri Feb 15 12:34:28
EST 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks a lot
yang