lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FixedStraightBytesImpl - flushing
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2012 13:03:38 GMT
hey SimonM :)

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Simon McDuff <smcduff@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, (LUCENE 4.0.0-ALPHA)
>
> We are using the DocValues features (very nice).

cool!

> We are using FixedBytesRef.
>
> In that specific case, we were wondering why does it flush at the end (when we commit)
?

the reason for this is that we write the DV across fields in a
CompoundFileSystem and due to a new optimization we can write them
directly into the CFS if we write all of them in a serial fashion. We
do this to prevent large file descriptor creation / overhead. I think
we can have a second implementation that doesn't do that but writes
directly. It should not be a big deal to implement this though.
In-fact we should do that by default with the sep codec. Once I come
back from vacation I can take a look and get this in for you.

simonw