lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Simon McDuff <smcd...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Flushing Thread
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 17:41:22 GMT

Thank you for your answer!

I read all your blogs! It is always interesting!

My understanding is probably incorrect ...
I observed that if you have only one thread that addDocument, it will not spawn another thread
for flushing, it uses the main thread.
In this case, my main thread is locked. Correct ?

The concurrent flushing will ONLY work when I have many threads adding documents ? (In that
case I will need to put a ringbuffer in front)

Do I understand correctly ? Did I miss something ?

Simon

> From: lucene@mikemccandless.com
> Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 13:02:42 -0400
> Subject: Re: Flushing Thread
> To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
>
> This has already been fixed on Lucene 4.0 (we now have fully
> concurrent flushing), eg see:
>
>   http://blog.mikemccandless.com/2011/05/265-indexing-speedup-with-lucenes.html
>
> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Simon McDuff <smcduff@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I see some behavior at the moment when I'm flushing and would like to know if I
can change that.

> >  One main thread is inserting, when it flushes, it blocks.
> >  During that time my main thread is blocking. Instead of blocking, Could it spawn
another thread to do that ?

> > Basically,  would like to have one main thread adding document to my index, if a
flushing needs to occur, spawn another threads but it should never lock the main  threads.
Is it possible ?

> > Is the only solution is to have many threads indexing the data ?
> > In that case Is it true to say ONLY one of them will be busy while the other is
flushing ? (I do understand that if my flushing is taking two much time, they will both flush...
:-))