lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Mike O'Leary" <tmole...@uw.edu>
Subject RE: Problem with TermVector offsets and positions not being preserved
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2012 22:50:01 GMT
Hi Robert,
Thanks for your help. This cleared up all of the things I was having trouble understanding
about offsets and positions in term vectors.
Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Muir [mailto:rcmuir@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2012 5:59 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Problem with TermVector offsets and positions not being preserved

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Mike O'Leary <tmoleary@uw.edu> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
> I'm not trying to determine whether a document has term vectors, I'm trying to determine
whether the term vectors that are in the index have offsets and positions > stored.

Right: what i'm trying to tell you is that offsets and positions is not an index-wide setting
for a field: its per-document.

I think all the tools you are using to check these values are not doing it correctly:
1. DumpIndex is wrongly using values from the Document returned by IndexReader.document(),
but that doesn't and never did retrieve these values (it would be 2 extra disk seeks per document
to figure out the term vector flags) 2. I havent looked at Luke, but its probably printing
the "global"
bits from FieldInfos. It used to be that we wrote some bits for these options, I don't ever
know what the purpose was since these options can be controlled on/off at a per-document level:
they make no sense.
Because of this we stopped writing these bits in 3.6 (we only write into FieldInfos if the
field has any term vectors at all), and thats probably whats confusing you there.

Again, if you really want to validate that a specific document has offsets/positions in its
term vectors, you need to check that specific document with IndexReader.getTermFreqVector,
there is no other way, since this can be controlled on a per-document basis for a field.

--
lucidimagination.com