lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Reindexing after database change
Date Sat, 28 Jul 2012 15:24:56 GMT
Lucene itself doesn't "pull" data in. Rather, you need to "push" data into
it. With Solr you can push data in from the command line using standard
tools such as curl or Java programs or any number of scripting tools or
external "push" connector systems such as Nutch or ManifoldCF, but with
Lucene you would need a custom program that directly writes the Lucene

The bottom line is that you need to find the scripts or programs that were
used to push the original data into Lucene. (Hint: Hire a Lucene
consultant!) Look around in the directories near the Lucene index. Such
scripts/programs may also be hiding in the directories of the individuals
who did the original work - find out their names and do a global file system
search for them. The scripts/programs should also be stored in a
svn/subversion or similar code repository. Find out the approximate date
when the index was created and scan for files near that same date.

They may also have a "cron" job that does incremental updates - look for the
"crontab".

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: Rodrigo P. Bregalanti
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:09 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Reindexing after database change

Hello,

I am working on a Data warehouse project and importing a huge mass of data
directly to the database (MysQL).

After conclude the project and roll out to production, I have discovered
that one of the websites, which has to access this database, is using
Lucene. Result: the data I have inserted is not being showed in this
website.

I have never worked with Lucena before, and I don't have access to the
website source code. Is there any approach to update the Lucene index
outside the program, maybe command line? (would be the whole index, once
this process runs out of critical periods)

Best regards, and thanks in advance.

Rodrigo.