lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Lucene 4.0 GA time frame
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 14:12:39 GMT
Erick's estimate is right in line with the chatter I have heard. There is
some talk of a Beta release in August, but there is some concern that too
many people are on vacation in August to get much feedback.

My guess is for a Beta no later than the middle of September and a release a
month later. It seems reasonable to expect the 4.0 release by mid-October.
I'd be surprised if the release slipped beyond November.

FWIW, I haven't seen any "the index format has changed; you must re-index"
messages in at least a few weeks, so at least some level of stability has
already been achieved.

The SolrCloud stuff seems to still be in a state of flux (from the issue
traffic I have seen), so I'm not sure if that is ready enough for imminent
release, although it may be getting close.

I am disturbed with the large number of frequent Jenkins test failures. I
feel a little uncomfortable recommending use of code whose test system fails
so frequently. We need some stability there, although it may be at least
semi-reasonable to discount those test failures as the need for improving a
complex test system rather than a judgment about the quality of the
underlying Lucene/Solr code.

The bottom line is that Lucene/Solr 4.0 GA in the fall (before December) is
a reasonable expectation, based on the code's current trajectory.

-- Jack Krupansky