lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "snehal.chennuru" <snehal.ku...@gmail.com>
Subject Usage of NoMergePolicy and its potential implications
Date Sun, 22 Jul 2012 23:17:07 GMT
Hello Everyone,

We have a legacy system which uses lucene 2.4.1. We have ported a small hack
to lucene source code back then, so that the underlying lucene segment
merger code wouldn't reuse deleted docids. This helped us use lucene docids
as persistent dbids as well. But we want to upgrade lucene to 3.6, but it is
near impossible to "hack" lucene now to get the same behavior.

I checked out NoMergePolicy, and it seemed to help achieve similar behavior
of not letting lucene reuse deleted docids. But I guess this would increase
the number of segments in the index. Any idea how many segments we are
talking about over here? Also, can we configure lucene to tell how many
documents to keep in a given segment. Each lucene index in this system can
have utmost 1M documents in them. Is there an alternative that I can
consider?

Thanks,
Snehal