lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: RAM or SSD...
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 05:39:27 GMT
On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 17:50 +0200, Dragon Fly wrote:
> If I want to improve performance, which of the following is better and why?
>
> 1. Buy a machine with a lot of RAM and use a RAMDirectory for the index.

As others has pointed out, MMapDirectory should work better than
RAMDirectory. I am sure it will work fine with a relative small index
such as yours. However, it does not scale that well with index size.

> 2. Put the index on a solid state drive.

Why anyone buys computers without SSD's is a mystery to me. Use SSDs for
the small low-latency stuff and a secondary spinning drive for the large
slow stuff. Nowadays, a 30GB index (or 100GB for that matter) falls into
the small low-latency bucket. SSDs speeds up almost everything, saves
RAM and spares a lot of work hours optimizing I/O-speed.

Regards,
Toke Eskildsen