lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From googoo <liu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene reorganizing indexes
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2012 12:48:11 GMT
Optimize will release disk space if have lots of delete. (Merge will do same
thing).
For me, I think optimize will little bit speed up search.

Which JRE are you using? for windows, if you are using 64bit JRE, then
lucene try to map index to memory.
that will use lots of memory and also involve lots of disk io.
you can rebuild lucene code to disable this behavior.

check below  MMapDirectory code.
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory
  public static FSDirectory open(File path, LockFactory lockFactory) throws
IOException {
    if ((Constants.WINDOWS || Constants.SUN_OS)
          && Constants.JRE_IS_64BIT && MMapDirectory.UNMAP_SUPPORTED) {
      return new MMapDirectory(path, lockFactory);
    } else if (Constants.WINDOWS) {
      return new SimpleFSDirectory(path, lockFactory);
    } else {
      return new NIOFSDirectory(path, lockFactory);
    }
  }