lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Denis Bazhenov <dot...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene vs SQL.
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2012 22:41:41 GMT
The main idea behind Lucene is search the data. In most fast and scalable way possible. For
achieving this goal Lucene give up on original data availability and consistency. So you should
be ready to discard your index and rebuild it from scratch. To do this, you need to have your
original data. The most frequent reason for reindex is changing Analyzer algorithms, I guess.

On Jul 28, 2012, at 3:25 AM, Felipe Carvalho <felipe.carvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this theme, but why cannot Lucene /
> Solr cannot be used as primary database / data store?
>
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Aditya <findbestopensource@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Check out these articles on this topic. Hope it helps.
>> http://www.findbestopensource.com/article-detail/lucene-solr-as-nosql-db
>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/blog/2010/04/30/nosql-lucene-and-solr/
>>
>> In nutshell, It is good to use Lucene as NoSQL but better have your data
>> stored in some persistent store like file system or a database.
>>
>> Regards
>> Aditya
>> www.findbestopensource.com
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Hank Williams <hank777@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If I want to set up a database that is totally flat with no joins, is
>>> there any reason not to use lucene. The reasons I would be curious about
>>> are things like insert performance and whether there are any queries that
>>> either don't work in lucene or perform better in MySQL/postgres.

---
Denis Bazhenov <dotsid@gmail.com>