lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Apostolis Xekoukoulotakis <xekou...@gmail.com>
Subject A simple question on disk IO and posting lists disk format.
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 10:42:34 GMT
Lets suppose that we make a query with multiple terms. Lucene creates a
topScoreDocsCollector with an Inorder traversal of posting lists.

Lets suppose we are in a specific segment, since we use a Priorityqueue in
the topScoreDocsCollector, I assume that all posting lists are traversed
concurrently.
Does lucene use a buffer to reduce disk seeks? what is its size? or does
lucene load all the posting lists into memory?

The second seems more plausible.

(I ask because as I said in a previous message, I am creating a
TopDocsCollector with multiple PriorityQueues and external "posting
lists"(in fact they are ordered scores) from a database(levelDB))

--

Sincerely yours,

     Apostolis Xekoukoulotakis