lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: zero sized cfs files in index lead to IOException: read past EOF
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2012 23:44:10 GMT
Hmm which Lucene version are you using?  For 3.x before 3.4, there was
a bug (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-3418) where we
failed to actually fsync...

More below:

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Chris Gioran
<chris.gioran@neotechnology.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Michael McCandless
> <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>> This shouldn't normally happen, even on crash, kill -9, power loss, etc.
>>
>> It can only mean either there is a bug in Lucene, or there's something
>> wrong with your hardware/IO system, or the fsync operation doesn't
>> actually work on the IO system.
>
> I have seen two instances of this, both on the same machine. It isn't
> far fetched to assume a hardware issue but no other problems have been
> reported there.

OK.

>> You can run CheckIndex to see what's broken (then, add -fix to remove
>> the broken segments)...
>
> Thank you for this information, will get back if something interesting comes up.
>
>> What IO system are you using?  Is this reproducible?  Are you sure
>> there wasn't a problem in transferring the index from its source to
>> you....?
>
> Commodity SATA disks on RHEL 5.
> No, just happened twice, no clear pattern.
> Yes, the the exception happened on site and afterwords the store was
> given to me - everything in there works but that index.

Those cfs files were also 0 length in the original index?

> Thank you for your response, i'll get back if i have more information.

Thanks.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com