lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Trejkaz <trej...@trypticon.org>
Subject Re: easy one? IN and OR stopword help
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2012 21:44:15 GMT
On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Jack Krupansky <jack@basetechnology.com> wrote:
> Well, if you have defined OR/or and IN/in as stopwords, what is it you expect other than
for the analyzer to ignore those terms (which with a boolean “AND” means match nothing)?

Is this behaviour really logical?

If I search for a single phrase like "Jack and Jill", and "and" is a
stop word, it becomes "Jack - Jill", right? And then matches documents
which have Jack and Jill next to each other (although I'm not 100%
sure on whether term positions mess it up for this specific case as I
can't remember whether the term position increments on a stop word or
not. It's irrelevant for the next step in my logic anyway.)

If I search for a single term like "and" and "and" is a stop word, the
equivalent behaviour should be to search for [] (the empty term set),
and every item matches the empty term set, so {X} AND "and" should
return the same as {X} for any query {X}, I would have thought.

Is this some peculiarity with boolean query or query parser implementation?

TX