lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Hill <p...@metajure.com>
Subject RE: CPU usage increased using 3.4.0
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 16:56:05 GMT
Maybe someone already discussed this, but why is 100% usage a problem? I ask, because one interpretation
of going from 30% usage to 100% usage is that the program is no longer I/O bound; it is no
longer waiting around for I/O to complete. But maybe that is not what you mean.  If the total
elapsed run-time is down then you have gained something.  If you need to share the CPU with
others, I would think this is mostly an OS question.  If the CPU usage is up because of better
OS file buffer usage, you might find that another application could share the OS with little
change to the JVM running the crawl.  The crawl application might slow down when fewer files
buffers are already in the OS file memory cache.

-Paul