lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: problem understanding the documentation for the TieredMergePolicy class
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:00:55 GMT
You start by defining minimum segment size, number of segments per tier, and
maximum segment size. From that, the "budget" or maximum number of segments
allowed is calculated. Each move up a level (tier) increases the size of the
segment allowed at that next higher tier until the largest segment size is
reached.

Then the code compares the number of segments eligible for merge to that
limit. If over that limit, the code then scores each merge and selects the
merge with the best score.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: thomas
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:43 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: problem understanding the documentation for the TieredMergePolicy
class

Hello,

I've read the documentation about the TiredMergePolicy class. But I just
can't get behind what this sentence is trying to state:

[..] For normal merging, this policy first computes a "budget" of how
many segments are allowed by be in the index. [...]
http://lucene.apache.org/core/old_versioned_docs/versions/3_4_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/index/TieredMergePolicy.html#findMerges(org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos)
<http://lucene.apache.org/core/old_versioned_docs/versions/3_4_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/index/TieredMergePolicy.html#findMerges%28org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos%29>

Would somebody be so kind to explain it to me?

Thanks, thanks a lot
Thomas