lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: easy one? IN and OR stopword help
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2012 19:35:23 GMT
Well, if you have defined OR/or and IN/in as stopwords, what is it you expect other than for
the analyzer to ignore those terms (which with a boolean “AND” means match nothing)?

What does your constructor look like for ClassicAnalyzer – do you pass in an explict stop
word set or nothing, which uses the default set of stopwords (which includes “or” and
“in”)?

Try passing null as the second argument to ClassicAnalyzer – it disables the default stop
word list.

-- Jack Krupansky

From: Bob Rhodes
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2012 1:50 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: easy one? IN and OR stopword help

Hi all,

This is driving me crazy. In my data if I search “state” AND “GA” I get hits. If I
search “state” AND “OR” or “state” AND “IN” I get no hits even though I can
see examples of state AND IN in the content. I’ve tried searching with “in” in lower
case and quotes to no avail.

The data is indexed and searched with lucene 3.3 and the ClassicAnalyzer. In my searching
code I have a stopword list containing OR and IN, but I’m pretty sure the indexing code
didn’t have this stop word list.

Can anyone please help me solve this problem and understand what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks!

Bob