lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Maxim Terletsky <sx...@yahoo.com>
Subject RAMDirectory with FSDirectory merging Versus large mergeFactor and RAMBufferSizeMB
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 07:47:13 GMT
Hi guys,
There are two approaches I see in Lucene In Action about speeding up the indexing process.

1) Simply increase the mergeFactor and RAMBufferSizeMB.
2) Using RAMDirectory as a buffer (perhaps even several in parallel) and later merging it
using addIndexes to FSDirectory.

So my question is the following:
In case I have only 1 thread with RAMDirectory - is that pretty much the same as method 1?
Since it's in memory anyhow for large mergeFactor and large RAMBufferSizeMB.

Maxim